In all fairness, my daughter may be a kid and an American but she is an amazing traveler. So here is a list of ways my daughter has impressed me:
- She has lived for a week out of a very small carry-on suitcase and her school backpack.
- She has dragged that baggage through airports, train stations, subway tunnels in two continents when she had never even been in an airport before.
- She has kept up with two active adults, walking 8 to 10 miles a day. Often dragging the suitcases.
- She has tried really really hard to eat new things and not react poorly to them.
- She has been so open-minded and suddenly understands that the world is small, the media is not always accurate, and that cultural difference can be lovely.
- She started the trip shy towards other language speakers and she’s opening up. She’s repeating phrases and trying to communicate. And I think she might be motivated to learn another language.
- She has not complained. Even when exhausted and hungry.