My neighbor’s boyfriend gave me a ham that had to weigh about 8 pounds.
As I spend the first decade of my adult life cooking as a vegetarian— I have never made a ham.
So this was a first.
To use all this ham:
- I sliced some big pieces for sandwiches.
- I took the pieces half of the size of the sandwiches and labeled them “breakfast” for ham and eggs.
- I shredded the dry pieces for soup.
- I, with the teenager’s help, made ham salad. We even had army teenager over to open the pickle jar.
- I froze some ham.
- I had a ham sandwich on white bread with extra big slices of American cheese.
- I packaged some ham for a friend.
- I put the ham bone, all the fat, and some smoked pork neck bones in the crock pot to make stock for ham and black bean soup.